Lately, I have been dead serious on the case of finding fruit-filled desserts or cakes (wow, I made that sound like a crime novel!) But, really, I am on the look-out. You know, those sort of treats that you can relish and not feel so guilty like you have just eaten a ton of butter or chocolate? And this time around, I got the help I needed from the amazing you-tube chef Laura Vitale's cooking channel. Do check it out on you-tube - LauraVitalesKitchen. She has a lot of recipes with apples, apple pie, apple bread, apple crisp, you name it she's got it. Well, I decided to try the apple crisp.
Apple crisp or crumble, is an American delicacy apparently with British origin. Now I don't know if apple crisp and crumble are two different things. To me they seem the same. You start out making either, in the end, you have a warm mushy apple base, covered with a crumbly oats topping. Makes for a perfect dessert. But I do feel this is one for apple lovers. Others may not be so fond of it. However, doubling it with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream is surely going to make this one appealing to all, be it apple-lovers or not!
This recipe customized from Laura in the Kitchen.
Serves - 6
For the filling-
4 large apples, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
zest and juice of half a lemon
zest and juice of quarter of an orange
6 Tbsp of granulated white sugar
1 Tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp All purpose flour
For crisp topping-
1 cup All purpose flour
3/4 cup of Oats
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, cold
1/2 Tsp cinnamon (optional, if cinnamon flavour is not your cup-o-tea)
1/4 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp of baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F (190 C)
- Mix together all the ingredients mentioned under 'filling' in a large bowl. Move the apple filling mixture to your baking dish
- In same bowl, mix all ingredients except cold butter, mentioned under 'crisp topping'
- Cut the butter into small cubes
- Mix the butter into the crisp topping mixture using your hands until a coarse texture is obtained. Here is how it looks -
- Finally, sprinkle the crisp topping onto the apple filling until completely covered.
- Place the baking dish in larger baking tray (to avoid any bubbling apple sauce spilling into the oven) and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, till the top is a golden -brown colour, like so -
Allow to cool a little. This treat is best served warm, with ice-cream. Give it a try. You'll definitely love it!