Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Ready To-Go! Nutritious Granola Bars (Breakfast bars)
Granola bars are a great choice for breakfast on those busy mornings. They mainly contain oatmeal, a rich source of fibre. Granola is further enriched with honey and nuts. Baked into bars, they are the perfect choice of breakfast on-the-go! Healthy, protein-rich, energy-boosters! And above all, they are delicious and wholesome!.. Here's how -
Makes approx. 20 bars of size 4 X 1 X 1/2 (inches)
Calories in each bar = 245 cal
Note - This recipe is customized from EatingWithRula
Honey (or you could use maple syrup) - 1 1/4 cup
Vegetable Oil - 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence - 4 Tsp
Egg - 2 large
Oats - 4 cups
Wheat cereal (I ground Post's Shredded Wheat in blender to get this or you could use wheat germ) - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Brown sugar - 6 Tbsp
Salt - 1/2 Tsp
Walnut, chopped - 1/2 cup
Almonds, chopped - 1/2 cup
Raisins - 1/2 cup
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a bowl, mix the honey, oil, vanilla essence and egg
3. In a separate bowl mix the oats, wheat cereal, flour, brown sugar and salt until well-combined
4. To the dry mixture, add the nuts of your choice and mix. I have used walnuts, almonds and raisins. (You can alternate with other ingredients like chocolate chips or coconut shreds)
5. Mix together wet and dry mixtures till you get a doughy consistency.
6. Take a rectangular pan, line with foil and grease the pan.
7. Spread mixture on the pan and flatten it out.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the surface looks golden brown.
9. Allow to cool and cut into bars of your choice of size/shape.
These can then be wrapped in plastic or aluminium wraps and stored in a cool,dry place for about 2 weeks.
Note - if you want it chewy, you can take it out when the surface is golden-brown. If your preference is crunchy leave it for a few more minutes until dark brown.